http://www.flickr.com/photos/julianmeade/sets/72157634266766597/

The ride was a 63 mile loop on the Solstice starting from the Staunton River
Battlefield up the south side of the Staunton/Roanoke River crossing on the
historic Clarkton Bridge then on to Red Hill, Patrick Henry's last home.
Red Hill is well maintained and a beautiful spot for lunch and a nap on the
picnic table in the shade of an ancient oak. Located in the front yard is
the National Champion Osage Orange tree which is amazing in itself and the
fact located adjacent to the house it survived the 1919 fire that destroyed
the original structure.  I returned on the north side of the river following
the more rural and gravel roads (and its hard to be more rural than the
southside) most if not all of which are well over 150 years old.  The final
crossing of the river was at the Staunton River Battle Rail Bridge which as
the Clarkton Bridge is open only for non-motorized traffic.  This area along
the river basin was once thriving and wealthy, now has somewhat of an
abandoned feel.tobacco is waning, the factories located in the towns are for
the most part closed, the small farms don't cut it, and many folks simply
moved away, simply a bygone era.many of the fine older homes which are still
standing and maintained are not visible from the roads.I could have and
should have taken a ton more shots.  At times I would ride for a 5 mile
stretch and never see a car or person.and along the gravel roads it was
sometimes 3 plus miles between houses.a great area for cycling but its
definitely BYOB.(bike, beer, breakfast, lunch, etc)

Meade Anderson