"About the train: Cyclists need reservations for the bike on the Coast
Starlight now? When I have ridden it with my bike, I have arrived
early, boxed my bike and paid for it, and then given it to the baggage
people with no trouble. I've never made a reservation beforehand, just
arrived at the station by bike and boxed the bike (in a box supplied
by Amtrak). Is it a new policy that bikes need reservations?"

Amtrak's website is chock full of information BUT it's poorly organized &
requires a lot of digging, and much stumbling along.  Having just used them
3X in the last week, here's what I've learned.  Note that stuff changes
frequently and their staff isn't always consistent.

Amtrak SURFLINER:  service San Diego to San Luis Obispo requires a bike
reservation (no charge).  This started June 1.  When you buy your ticket
on-line there is a box to click "add a bike".  There is a maximum of 6
bikes PER TRAIN (not per car, per the entire train).  The bike area has
wheel holders for 7 bikes, and is in the same car as the handicapped area.
On on of our legs a person in a wheelchair was already on board, in the
designated space, and there was no way to get our bikes past to the bike
area.  The conductor was cool and let us stand there for a few stops until
the wheelchair person exited.  On that leg they wound up with 7-8 bikes
stacked up in there.  So the "reservation required" isn't strictly enforced
(yet).  On our other 2 legs the bike demand was light & we had no
problems.  The conductors did not seem to check that we had bike
reservations (it's printed on your ticket) as we were on, bikes stashed &
up in the seating area before our tickets were checked.

COAST STARLIGHT travels between San Diego and Seattle, and the one Hugh
tried to catch in Paso Robles.  The Starlight has always required bikes to
be boxed and checked as luggage.  As Anne noted, It's a simple process
given some lead time.  Big box (sometimes used ones available for free) for
something like $5; remove pedals, turn bars, wheel the bike & tape it up.
I think on their website Amtrak wants an hour or 2 before departure for
this process.  Another wrinkle in the process is that this can only happen
at a station that is designated for "baggage service" which means the train
stops long enough to load & unload stuff.

We had to make a change to our reservation & stopped in at the SLO station
to confirm it.  While waiting, a conductor approached us and asked if we
were going on today's train.  The Starlight was due in shortly.  He let us
know that we'd have to box our bikes unless the conductor was willing to
allow "roll ons".  He was talking about the Starlight so apparently there
is some leniency but it's the discretion of the conductor.  When we told
him that our reservation was on the Surfliner, he said no problem, that's
different.  Whew! Moment of panic averted.

dougP