Sidepull brakes, right?  Older Riv (most all bike/brands actually) road
bikes were limited by the short reach calipers of that era.  I doubt you'd
be able to fit much more than a 25mm tire and 35mm fender.  And it is
probably not optimized for fender installation (chain/seat stay bridge
positioning and drilling for example) like newer models.  If you want to
fit a fatter tire (and wider fender) a  650b conversion would be your best
bet.  (assuming you have 700c wheels now)

Steve