Yes, others are right in that cable tension is key with indexing,
especially as the number of rear cogs increase.  Barrel adjusters are your
friend.  From your description, i would say that you probably have just
slightly too much tension--maybe a 1/2 or 3/4 turn of the barrel adjuster
in might help.

I usually setup indexing by adjust limit screws first, then set the cable
anchor, just barely taking up all cable slack in the smallest cog.  Then i
shift into the second to smallest cog--just one jump--and check to make
sure that that derailleur pulleys are centered under that cog.  If not, i
use the barrel adjuster to fine tune it's position.  Then I shift up into
the higher parts of the cassette and double check.  As long as the
derailleur is staying centered in each gear you should be getting even
shifts up and down.

If the derailleur is centering well, especially on the way up, but hanging
up going down, another culprit might be friction in the cable housing,
which I imagine might be a problem with the long cable runs on a tandem.
The shifter is shifting but friction in the system is holding the cable
against the spring in the derailleur.  If that's the case, try lubricating
the cable housing and any cable guides with a thin lubricant like TriFlow.

Finally, if you're getting even shifting in one part of the cassette but
not in another, your derailleur hanger might be slightly bent.  Any good
LBS should have the Park hanger alignment gauge, which checks to make sure
that hanger threads are perpendicular to the plane of the wheel (and thus
the cogs).  With most frames, especially steel ones, you can also use the
gauge to slightly cold-set the hanger into proper alignment, although if
it's a badly bent replaceable aluminum hanger cold-setting in back might
crack it.