This is an old bike of mine, long since sold, but I made a little 'foot' to
kick the basket out a tad.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/skenry/sets/72157632140759468/

It was made with a p-clamp and a length of aluminum iron.  Took about 3
minutes to build and worked out well.   The Duct tape was an option.
Scott

Cheers,
Scott Henry
Dayton, OH