> I have not climbed or hiked in Scotland, but the people I talked with
about the Grampians have told me it is a beautiful and difficult place. The
high latitude (think northern Canada) combined with winds from Atlantic
depressions makes for a difficult climate. That said, I want to get to the
West Highland trail with the Hunqapillar! Be well - Bob

Definitely the high latitude makes a big difference.  I've read a couple of
good books about Denali (hey, we can all dream!).  Some climbers who have
climbed the Himalayas, Alps, and Andes will look at the relatively low
elevation and wind up underestimating the extreme challenges climbing so
far north present.