Try to get rid of the toe clips and move your feet around.  I use Grip Kings
and Tevas with or without socks, or Sambas with heavy wool socks below 40 deg.
When I'm seated I have the ball of my feet just in front of the spindle.  When
I have a slower cadence or am out of the saddle I shift my feet forward so the
middle of my arch is over the spindle.  I think I heard this first in a Riv
Reader?  Large platforms, as has been discussed above, make the firmness of the
shoe less important, and moving your feet around the pedals during the ride can
eliminate hot spots.  This also helped me with knee pain after 40-50 miles with
speedplays.