OK so I just got my new Hillborne this week.  It is completely friction and
I am using the IRD thumbshifters with the Deore rear derailer and the CX
front derailer.  It has a Sugino double crankset.  On day one it worked
wonderful and the shifting with the IRD thumbshifters was great.  I did a
few more hours the next day and it was fine that day as well. This morning
I go out for a ride and shifting the front gears resulted in the chain
getting jammed up around the front derailer. I got it loose again and from
that point on any attempt to shift the front resulted in the chain trying
to hang up or it just shifting back down to the smaller cog.  That was the
more frequent result.  Basically I would shift it to the higher cog and it
would act like it was going to do it and then drop down to the smaller cog.
 This would also pull the shifter back into that position.  I figured I
would just do the ride on that cog and shift only the rear and about a mile
later the rear derailer starts acting the same way.  Anything I shift to
above the smallest cog would work for a few turns and then drop back down
to the small cog again and the shifter would flop to that position.  This
is a new bike so the cable and housing is all new as are the derailers.  I
am not sure where to start. I am not shy about working on my bike but I am
not smart with derailer issues.  Any ideas?