I've just been planning out a tour that would include both the Unknown
Coast and the dirt part just south of it known as the Lost Coast.  The
Unknown Coast has some extremely steep sections (well over 20% for
longish sections) and the Lost Coast has steeper sections and, as I
mentioned, is not paved. I have ridden the Unknown Coast in both
directions, touring, without having to walk, but I expect substantial
hiking when I get to the dirt. It'll be great!

A friend and I rode south on the coast a few years ago. We did the
Unknown Coast, and both of us really want to go back and tackle the
Lost Coast too. Because it's there and we didn't do it, and also
because it skirts around some bothersome traffic.

I usually tour on Pasela 1.5s, but the Schwalbe Marathon 2.0s will
grace the Atlantis for this trip.

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 1:13 PM, allenmichael <allenmich...@mac.com> wrote:
> Is anyone else planning on doing this ride? Someone told me about it this
> weekend at the Cal Riv Rumble, and I just signed myself up. I'm hoping to
> get the new Rambouillet built by then.
>
> Lots of climbing and lots of beautiful scenery.
>
> Michael Allen
>

> http://www.chicovelo.org/main/century-series/3-unknown-coast-weekend

-- Anne Paulson

It isn't a contest. Enjoy the ride.