I have had the co-pilot as well and it was very secure and was pretty
simple to move from bike to bike if you have a bit of mechanical knowledge.
My LBS steered us away from the seat in front due to control issues.  I
think it depends where you ride too though, here in Brooklyn I cant have my
daughter on a piece of wood and stoker bars, sometimes we need to dart out
and stop short due to traffic and would hate for her a kid to not be
secured on the bike at a younger age. My daughter uses the Burley Piccolo
now, she doesn't really feel comfortable riding on her own on Brooklyn
streets, unlike a lot of parents I have nothing to prove about what an
advanced rider she is, we just go out for fun.