Help me out here, a knife kneophyte.

My own experience, which is with ordinary kitchen knives, is that good
quality stainless steel ones -- Henckels -- are very hard for me to
sharpen; while non-stainless -- "Old Hickory" is the brand I have --
sharpens easier and, moreover, responds to a steel much better than the
Henckels.

Is it true that stainless steel (well, good ss -- I've had cheap ss that
seemed as soft as non-ss) is much harder than the stuff that "Old Hickory"
uses, and that it is this hardness that makes it much harder to get the
right edge on it, while softer steels take an edge much more easily (and
respond to the steel much more readily) but also lose their edge faster?

At any rate, I gave up my Henckels because I couldn't get them as sharp;
never got around to taking them to a professional sharpener.

My gauge for kitchen knife sharpness (apart from the "catches on your
fingernail" test) is that a knife slices a ripe tomato easily without
crushing it.

patrickmo...@resumespecialties.com