Hugh and Steve: I think -- not sure, but I *think* -- that the key to
higher-bar comfort and efficiency, at least in my own case, is to maintain
the bend at the hips and sufficient weight forward of the bike centerline
by extending the bar forward as it comes up. I've described this before,
but once again: beside the higher/further B135 Randos on the Fargo, last
year or so I removed the short 42 cm 185s (90/140) circa 2" below saddle
and replaced them with Grand Bois Maes Parallels on the two custom Rivs, at
115/125 and 1" below saddle. The overall effect is a higher position to
accomodate my aging neck, but the significantly longer reach seems to give
me just as much power as shorter and lower, while being more comfortable
(same 8 cm stems as with the 185s).

On the Ram, the bar a wee bit higher yet -- perhaps 2 cm below saddle
instead of 3 cm -- but with a 9 instead of an 8 cm stem. Of course, the
Noodles sweep back, too. At any rate, on all four bikes, higher but further
forward gives me a very nice combination of comfort and power -- I use the
hooks as much for the power contributed by the muscles brought into play as
you bend further forward, as for aerodynamics.

Patrick Moore, who 22 years ago had his bars 6" below saddle.

>>> patrickmo...@resumespecialties.com