On 08/18/2013 04:59 AM, ascpgh wrote:
Tony:

I just got my first generator hub, a SON. I looked, watched, listened and lurked over every post about them and once I got the ball going I couldn't justify choosing parts other than the ones I knew I wanted to use and I am happy to have done so. No one I spoke to ever said "next time I will get the <insert generator hub name here>  instead of the Schmidt". I waited, bought smart and held out until I did not have to justify it for my commuting use. Ditto for a very well-bought Luxos-B light. In the end I was so close in budget that my preferences were easily justifiable. Being able to use it on either of my bikes was the only art of the deal as I designed it.

The first ride with the hub/wheel and light was like being a kid with my first new bike. I had been working on our house all day, wife away on business, had a meager supper and was tinkering with the last details to get the generator and light up and working. It was so impressive in the work stand that I grabbed my riding shoes, helmet and went outside to the street. First I headed for a gap in the street lights, then I turned left, and it just swept over me. I rode for the next two and a half hours, able for the first time to feel not marginalized in my nighttime travel and that included a wide array of lights from spendy rechargeable battery pack rigs (one of which popped out of its cheap bar bracket after a meager bump, swung on its cord's radius into the front spokes killing itself, the wheel and nearly me), and a spectrum of cheap LED battery burners I have used in my over-reacting response. It was one of the most simply superior experiences I have ever had with a bike. I simply could not find enough dark places to ride and felt like I was seeing the whole town at night for the first time, not just trying to escape home like some roach in the kitchen trying to scurry back to its dark place when the lights come on.

Whatever you choose, do so in a way that makes you happy in the end. I am able to speak to that utterly pleased outcome of my years-long odyssey to make my own light as I ride to and from work. I'll be out there more now.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh