Now you're really in my comfort zone, photography is my first passion...
 as I'm used to using a larger SLR camera and having the benefits of
interchangeable lenses I wanted to retain that in a smaller camera.  Good
news is there are bunch of small, interchangeable lens camera systems out
there now at a couple price points.  That probably doesn't completelyjive
with your request for 'unfancy', but I guess it's all relative... :)

Becuase the systems are refreshed so often these days craigslist in larger
cities usually have a ton of these camera's available.  Two to keep an eye
out for;

Olympus PEN series - lots of different models, and the most lens selection
Nikon One series - I'm shooting with this right now, it was kind of hated
by the blogosphere and therefore the first generation is available CHEAP.
 I'd be happy to give you more info on them if you are interested.

Panasonic, Samsung, Sony, Pentax... all have their entries as well.  For
tons of better info on these camera's check out Thom Hogan's site -
http://www.sansmirror.com/

Aside from lens changing options, these cameras all have significantly
larger sensors than most basic compact cameras.  That gives you not only
better image quality (more data captured) but better low light capability
and ability to crop later.  If I was going to go witha  true compact camera
I'd look at the Nikon or Olympus waterproof/shockproof options in the sub
$300 range.  The added ruggedness and price point is a true 'plus' that
isn't possible with a more expensive camera.

Tony