One of the things I'm discovering with each passing day is how my
previously held ideas about what made a bicycle comfortable are being
smashed to bits by the Betty Foy. I had a heavy Dutch bike until March of
this year. I loved it, but it was slow. That bike convinced me that slow
and stately, completely upright riding was the only kind of riding I was
suited for.  When I had to get a cheap mixte to ride after my Dutch bike
was damaged in an accident, I convinced myself that I couldn't ride in a
more aggressive, forward leaning position. I had the bike shop install lots
of spacers so I could ride stock upright, and even though the mixte was a
lot lighter than the Dutch bike, it never felt swift or stable. I still
felt slow and lethargic.

When I picked up the Betty Foy on Saturday, one of the first things I
noticed was how far forward I was leaning. The Soma Oxford handlebars are
on a Soma Sutro stem - shorter than the Technomic by quite a lot - and I am
not used to riding in that position. Some might not think that's aggressive
at all, but for someone who has only ridden upright, it was quite a shift.

The first thing I did was try riding up a hill right next to the bike shop.
I was surprised at how quickly and easily I was able to ride up it. It's
something I never would have considered on the Dutch bike. I would have
hesitated doing it on the cheap aluminum mixte, too.

On Sunday's ride, my mental tape recorder started running early. "You're
never going to be able to do 25km riding in this position." "You're
probably going to give up after 10K." "You're too fat to ride like this."
 But as more road disappeared under my wheels, I found that all of the
things I had thought were untrue.  Of course, fitness plays a huge role in
the limits we place on ourselves, but having the right tool at hand is
hugely important. I never knew how important before I got the Betty Foy.

This morning I whizzed into work in record time. Sure, going slow is great,
but swift riding feels so good when you get to slay your mental and
physical dragons at the same time.