I've gone back and forth between saddlebags and panniers so often that I
must have lost hundreds of $$ by buying each dear and selling off cheap.
I've tried:

Nelson Longflap (many)
Nelson shortflap
Nelson Lowsaddle (1)
Camper Longflap (two)
Juniors (4-5 -- have one now)
Adam (1)
Hoss (1)
Sackville Medium (1)

I love saddlebags when they require no rear rack; hell, I like them BECAUSE
they require no rear rack (I used the Hoss on the Ken Rogers tricycle where
it sat between the wheels and thus did not require support to keep it above
a wheel).

BUT!!! None of the above held as much in volume or weight as I can get into
two good-sized panniers. I hear that the Sackville Large is huge-issimo,
but it still is short of a pair of Packer Pluses at 2451 ci the pair, or a
pair of Banjo Bros Market Panniers at 3K ci the pair -- stuffed the S L
handles 1984 ci, which is close to the pair of Packer Pluses but not quite
there. In the Banjos I've carried, at the same time, a medium watermelon, a
12 pak of diet Root Beer (not for me, man!), a coupla bottles of wine, and
miscellaneous food items and mail -- hit 50 lb once.

Now if I had a bike that I wanted to carry only moderate loads -- say
commuting, and never groceries -- I'd have stuck with the S-Med which, to
my mind is the Ne Plus Ultra and Per Magnitudinem Rationabilem Ad Astra Et
Beatitudinem of all saddlebag-kind, but it just won't handle my grocery
loads. And if I have a rack, then I figger i'll use panniers that I can
switch between one, small, say the Ortlieb Packer Sport at 900 ci, to the
mega-sized pair of Market Panniers at 3K ci.