I was totally on her side until she posted the guy's name and phone number
on her Facebook page after she got the bike back, inviting her friends to
take matters into their own hands. This kind of petty vigilantism turns my
stomach.

Bike thievery is rampant in Vancouver, so much so that I almost didn't buy
the Betty Foy because of it. If I didn't have secure bike parking at home
and at work, I might not have ever bought one. Knowing that her bike was
stolen in my neighbourhood, right down the street from my apartment makes
me worry even more. We've seen a lot of unsavoury types in the area of late.

Here's another bike theft story with a happy ending:  A friend's wife had
her trike stolen. The trike was really well known among our social circle,
and a few people told my friend they'd seen the trike around town. They
posted flyers in the area around where the trike was stolen, and a down on
his luck guy phoned them and told them he saw the trike parked in the back
garden of a nearby halfway house. My friend phoned the police, and she and
her wife made their way to where the bike was chained up. The police and
the guy who phoned were waiting for them at the halfway house when they
arrived, and they retrieved the trike safely.  The guy who told them where
the trike was refused to take a reward.