I'm with Patrick in that my favorite setup is 25mm in front and 27-28mm in
the rear.  But again, lightweight, soft casings with "some" puncture
protection.  Kicked up the pressure on my Challenge tubulars this morning
and rolled downhill with my friends on their tandem for the first time.
 (They're off to Reno this afternoon and plan to climb Donner Pass after
the air races.)  But was floored the cozy ride.  Of course, that's a
tubular thing.  But even on my fender bike, 25mm and 28mm Pasela TGs.  Part
of it is we don't have nice fire trails to ride around here, and so we ride
pavement, and offroad around here is rock, which I don't ride.  Though on
the few caliche (lime clay)/ gravel roads we ride, I still have plenty of
control, and have yet to damage a tire.  Did pick up a yucca thorn one day.
 My buddy has 35mm Dayhon-special Schwalbes on his Dayhon and they they
certainly give him excellent control on just about any surface.