I have Tektro R559 right now and am going to the Dia-Compe 750. I
think even the 2 mm extra reach from the Dia-Compe will allow the
brake pads to clear the rim so that even when they wear down, they
won't destroy my tire (or at least I won't have to worry about it)!

I'm gonna have the Frankenbeast with a sidepull front and a centerpull
rear.  I'm sure that breaks lots of rules...

Toshi