Hi Brian --

I'm somewhere around 5'2" or 5'3" and consider myself to have relatively
short legs and a relatively longer torso, but my PBH is probably about
72cm. I agree with others that your friend's PBH should be re-checked.

Because of my height and PBH, I haven't found standover to be a very useful
measurement. The smallest available commercial frames (48cm) tend to work
in terms of standover, but are just hitting the limit of top-tube length. I
would recommend paying more attention to effective top-tube length than
anything else.  In terms of road bikes, I have a 48cm modern steel frame
with a 50.5cm effective top tube that just fits me (just feeling the
tiniest smidge too stretched out, but manageable). My new Saluki (47cm)
apparently has an effective top tube of 52.0cm, but that seems to fit very
well, thus proving that seat-tube and head-tube angles really do matter...

(These are both set up as road bikes, of course...)

Hope those data points help.

-- Liz S.