On Wednesday, October 2, 2013 8:13:59 AM UTC-7, Leslie wrote:

> Seems like, if it's a full custom bike, and you're going w/ carbon fiber,
> shouldn't you have a carbon fiber rack?    Not that I've heard of such,
> but.... if you're going custom....
>
> We once tested a carbon bike with a custom titanium rack... I am afraid
that a carbon fiber rack would look a lot like a Pletscher, which is made
from sheetmetal rather than tubes. (I cannot envision a rack glued from
small-diameter carbon tubes that would be durable and lightweight.)

Personally, I like steel, both for frames and racks, because steel can
perform as well as any other material, but it is more easily shaped and
worked, giving the builder more freedom in designing things, as well as
being less expensive. I do understand, however, the appeal of other
materials, and even far-out bikes are relatively affordable. To put it in
perspective, an $ 11,000 bike is $ 1700 less than the cheapest new car you
can buy in this country (I looked it up). So for most of us, it's all about
the choices we make, more than how much money we have. I bought my
Rivendell custom when I was still a student working on my Ph.D. I made a
choice to spend a significant portion of my money on a great bike, rather
than other things.

Most of all, I like reading about interesting experiences, even if I have
no aspiration to replicate them, whether it's exploring Antarctica or
driving a $ 200,000 Porsche on a racetrack. I hope our readers similarly
enjoy to read what it's like to take a top-of-the-line carbon 650B bike to
the limit, even if they don't aspire to own such a bike or ride in such a
way.

Jan Heine
Editor
Bicycle Quarterly