Yes, joe, the dreaded 0.833"  When I was doing the inspection I was all:

"Japanese parts everywhere, that's a good sign....calipers to the handlebar
clamp-25.4!  OK, lots of choices there!...calipers to the quill  21mm!
 Yuck!"

Anyhow, that measurement was what made me decide to try it with the stock
stem and Albas.  I would have given Albastaches a try if it was a normal
quill diameter.  Another fun aspect to this is that I'm going to rebuild
the wheels at 700c, and then run the fattest tires I can safely fit.  I
picked up a pair of the closeout Twin-Hollows from Riv over the weekend.
 This is purely a sentimental rebuild for me.  My father passed away this
month (only 71), and working on this bike and then using it will play a
part in my recovery process.