Amen to 5 and 7.
5. I attach the (drop bar) brake levers snug-but-loose, and ride the naked
bars around the neighborhood, and kind of wriggle them up, down, toe-in,
etc, until they're good. Then I lock them down and ride farther, to make
sure. Then I tape.
7. I have indeed adjusted fiddly things while balancing the bike with my
head. Now I use the stand if I'm just changing a tire, and it's just
holding the bike off the ground while I work nearby.

- I like to keep my cable housing "short but graceful." I hold the housings
where they need to run, and turn the bars all the way, both ways, and mark
the cable against the stop. I cut it at the mark, and it seems to work. I
assume everyone does this, but I did learn the hard way.
- Oh! I rebuilt the cockpit on someone else's bike (flat bars to Albas),
and only had to buy one brake and one shift cable, because I reused the old
rear brake and shifter cables as the new fronts.
- I reuse cable ends by pinching them "open" again, then pinching them
flat.
- Anytime the bike shop asks if I need cable ends or "bolts with that," I
say yes. If they charge me, fine, if not, even better.

Philip
www.biketinker.com