My Dad always said Buyer beware...good advice. I think Ron and Jim make
excellent points. What, for example, justifies the 300% price ratio between
a Sam Hillborne and a Surly Cross-check or the even larger differential
between an Atlantis and LHT? They have similar ride quality and expected
service life and are made by the same nice Taiwanese workers. This is a
really valid point and one that I try not to dwell on too much since I've
gone deep into Rivendell...I suspect Jim the cost differential between the
Hillborne & LHT and I'm no expert here would be the additional cost of lug
casts on the Hillborne. 300% seems a bit high, The cost of a built CC is
let's say is $990 and the Hillborne built is $2600 is more like a 38% price
differential still high, the difference between the LHT lets say built is
$1400 and the Atlantis built is $3900 that's 36% more expensive. For me
it's a function of aesthetics period. Had I done the math early on I
probably would have gone with a Surly.

Ron makes a valid point too, I needed a campy DT shifter because I
discovered I needed a larger cable drum to get sufficiently fast shifting...he
was in search of a difficult to find item and was willing to pay. So the
PB-Guy offered a service with which Ron was able to procure a hard found
item and Pb-Guy made a profit that's a win/win. Would I buy an old Riv
bottle for a $100, 75, 50, 25...ah hell no...I see people selling old "Riv"
readers on the bay will I buy those to feel closer to the "Riv" history/
community a resounding no! But there's someone who will be glad to purchase
those, frankly I'd give em away to a friend but that's me. We live in a
free market society so when we have the liberty to buy and sell as we
please equalities suffer it's just how humans operate which is what Scott
is commenting on.

~Hugh

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep
moving." -- A <http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/9810.Albert_Einstein>lbert
Eistein

On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 9:02 AM, Ron Mc <bulldog...@gmail.com> wrote:

> ps - I paid $12 for the blue REG lever covers, and they were easily worth
> that to me -
>
> <http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/bulldog1935/Raleigh/aP1010008.jpg>
>
> same guy has Campy ones priced at $60, which is crazy, but if he finds
> someone willing to pay that price, why not?
>

> On Friday, December 6, 2013 10:42:47 AM UTC-6, Montclair BobbyB wrote:
>>
>> I'll concede the point, and will respectfully agree to disagree.
>>
>> Peace,
>> BB
>>
>> On Thursday, November 7, 2013 12:59:37 AM UTC-5, joe b. wrote:
>>>
>>> Not sure I can justify drinking from my Riv bottles in this market...
>>>
>>> http://www.ebay.com/itm/RIVENDELL-WATER-BOTTLE-BIDON-
>>> MADE-BY-SPECIALIZED-LARGE-GREEN-/271314267002?pt