On 12/18/2013 01:38 PM, Bill Lindsay wrote:
Richard Feynman has not written up his report on the SRAM issue. Also, thusfar, the SRAM issue has vaporized zero brave American Astronauts, so I would call those two problems "not similar"

Consequences are "not similar" but "O ring fails in cold weather" certainly does sound "similar" to me...

On Wednesday, December 18, 2013 10:28:08 AM UTC-8, Steve Palincsar wrote:

    On 12/18/2013 01:10 PM, oldmangabe wrote:

    > The crux of this particular problem is that SRAM seems to have
    rushed
    > it's product to market in order to compete with Shimano and meet
    > market expectations. In doing so SRAM seems to have neglected to do
    > enough R&D on the redesign of the "road" versions of their hydro
    > calipers.  It always baffles me that companies would rather deal
    with
    > warranties and recalls rather than make sure the products were
    > correctly designed and speced, even if it means they come to
    market a
    > bit later than the competitors.

    Didn't NASA have a similar problem with O-rings with the Space
    Shuttle?