I'm in agreement with Michael H. never had a stem break or crack using a
lock nut, have though had the nut get stuck probably because I tightened it
too much! User error. Now I lightly as Michael says thread it...never ever
used talc never needed to. Besides thought that talc was used for tubulars?

I think a more important thing to check is that the presta valve core is
secure in the stem. I recently had a a specialized brand presta tube valve
core fly out to parts unknown when I released the pump head from the valve!
I surmised that the core had not been secure in the valve body...I'm sure
some already know this but cores are not interchangeable, found that out
the hard way in the outback..

~Hugh

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep
moving." -- Albert Einstein
http://velocipedemusings.blogspot.com/