Hey Michael,

Well, couple reasons on the 650B preference though I'd be the first to
admit that I don't really have enough run time with some higher quality
700C tires to make a great comparison.  Just so I'm very clear about what
my frame of reference is this is what I've ridden ;

- 650B convertered Trek with 42mm EL Hetre's
- 700C Jack Brown 33.33mm on the Trek and a Surly Cross Check
- 700C Nomad Resist 45mm (really 42mm) on the Atlantis
- 26"x 2" Big Apple's on a Univega Tandem, MB-5 and XO-3
- 27"x 1.25" GatorSkins on a Burley Tandem

My reasons for liking the 650B;

- The EL Hetre's are the best tire I've ridden, and it's not close
- Slight advantage in inherent strength due to the smaller size
- I have two frames that are a bit large for me, 64 cm Trek and 64 cm
Atlantis, the 700C tires on the Atlantis make me feel to tall in the
saddle, the Trek w/ 650B feels much better
- Goldilocks Syndrome... just the right size, not 26", not 700C... I was
thinking it would be sweet to have 650B only wheel's between my wife and my
bikes plus a tandem eventually

That's about it really, definitely not scientific.  And given that I've
just gotten my XO-3 (26") up and running I'm by no means a wheel size
zealot...  I'm running a 26er, 650B and 700C bike side by side by side
right now.  I've built dyno hub's for both my 650B and 700C wheelset even.
 I'm sure that on the right size frame a 700C would suite my needs very
well, but I'd still miss that Hetre tire. Gotta try the Soma C Line tires...

In case you are interested, here is the latest on the XO-3 project. -
http://dr2dc.blogspot.com/2013/12/xo-3-evolving-and-pour-over-coffee.html

Tony