When I ordered my custom Grant and I were discussing 650b v. 700. (I owned a 60
Saluki at the time) He asked if I planned on using fenders. My answer was no
and then the discussion moved to 700C, which is what I ended up with.
 I own a 58 Saluki as well which i bought to use with the Schwalbe "Fatties"
(the early large and small) Salukis won't accept the Fatties) and the
proportions are fine with those tires. The proper size Saluki for me with
normal sized tires is the 60. With 38's or 42's the 58 looks great for a saddle
height about 1 or 2 cm's lower than mine (75.5~). Steve P. is right, if I
install fenders it would clean up the look, at least for the classic 650b
French look.
In my opinion the only reason to choose 650b over 700c in frames larger than 59
or 60 is to uses Hetres. The Hetre is great but there are plenty of great
riding 700c tires.