I really have enjoyed following the Colette Patterns blog, and Sarai has a
wonderful
post on materials for her "cooper bag" and how to source resources here (great
tips on waxed canvas)

http://www.coletterie.com/sewalongs/bag-making-supplies-and-resources

Also, she has tutorials on how to sew with waxed canvas, etc.   I know other
sewer/biker bloggers but I find Colette's resources
on her bag really really easy to follow.  She lives in Portland so she's in a
good area for it.