More crosses increases the tangent of each spoke and distributes the
stresses among more of the components (rim, hub flange, spokes) but if a
flange isn't large enough to do a four cross without beginning to bump
other spoke heads, the exercise is pointless.

Forty spokes alone may increase durability under load without going to 4x
lacing. Insight about particular hub, spokes, lacing and rim combinations
from Peter White seems very pertinent. His interrogation of my bike,
weight, load and uses preceded any estimate for a wheelset, he told me what
to get after providing all that information.

Building a tandem-worthy wheel and putting it in a normally spaced frame
might bring material stress to the frame, tandem hubs being 140 mm, and
make your rear triangle bear more of it. I always went with the idea of
bringing all parts of the bike to the level of use expected to produce the
best outcome.

Reminds me of a particular brand of aluminum bike that marketed stiffness
and riders of those bridge girder frames destroying their OEM rear wheels
in short time and when subsequently riding the hand-built replacements,
wearing out rear tires in fantastically brief periods. Watching those
riders climb or sprint from behind was amazing, even an average rider would
produce a lateral "wag" left, and right, with each pedal stroke scrubbing
the contact patch visibly back and forth.

A little give among frame, tire, rim, spokes and hub distributes stresses
and seems like the best objective.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh