On 01/21/2014 11:34 AM, Eric Norris wrote:
Roy:

In its current incarnation, my QB has a Sturmey-Archer 3-speed fixed hub (S3X) with a
one-speed freewheel, making it a "standard" 3-speed. I'm really enjoying this
setup, which expands the range of terrain that I can comfortably cross.

Gearing starts at about 74 inches in third gear (direct drive through the hub),
then goes down to about 56 and 44 inches. That's enough to get me up hills to
about 10% or so. Beyond that, I just get off and push.

The combination of the S3X hub and a freewheel, I think, provides a more
durable and easily reparable system. Because it's a fixed gear hub, the S3X
doesn't have any pawls on the inside, making it simpler and stronger. All of
the pawls on my QB are outside of the hub in the freewheel, which can be easily
fixed or replaced. Without pawls on the inside, the system is also silent while
pedaling--a standard S-A hub is always ticking.

Other than the ticking, what's the advantage over a Sturmey AW? Those certainly have a history of reliability and a track record that extends if not back to the mists of time, certainly back to the dawn of the last century.