Too many guys wanted the mixte but not  the Betty, so we renamed the Betty,
and then for the fun of it, lengthened the chainstays on the two larger
models (part of the "longer chainstays are better" craze around here
lately). The diaga-stay angle varies with the frame size because  of the
tricky lower seat tube intersection. The 60 has a diff lug than the 50, 55.

On an anally faux-French level there would be no variation, but to me
(whose vote counts, I can't help that part), 1/4 of the beauty--the deep
inner secret beauty--of the Cheviot/Betty is something that is hard to
describe in words without seeming to sound like---"that's not what I MEANT!"

But some of the ingredients of the description are here: *It is as good a
bike as I can design, it has crazy unnecessary flourishes (the seat lug in
particular, and the fork crown), and the graphics are spectacular and
unique, and yet it is (the hard part to describe) slightly rough around the
edges in a way that would be unacceptable for a showstopper that costs 2.5x
as much, but is not just ACceptable for a bike of this price, but actually
adds to it in a humility kind of way.*

A critic would call that a cop-out, but would be wrong. We're not out to
appeal to the wannabe 1950's  professor with a pipe. We want, and I want,
the Cheviot to be under the butts of super normal people who are open to a
new world of bikes and a way of looking at them. I am probably too involved
in the bike to try to describe it at this emotional level, but it is
something like that. I think it should be the most popular bike we've ever
made, but I also know diagatube and stays represent a high hurdle to many,
and that's OK, too. It's not like it's a high-volume bike. We're getting in
about 2.2 per state, early March. I hope we can sell that many before
August, and then the nexties might be in January.

I can't believe I didn't mention the longer chainstays, but I'm glad it
came up. It was a "can't see the forest for the trees" thing.