Yeah, if you're going for value, I'd say get the shimano hub and the luxos
(?) light with the latest B&M optics. They're the same as in the edelux II
but they're cheaper.

I went whole hog on a son28 and edelux and haven't looked back. Well,
unless I'm checking to see if the taillight is still working. :)

On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 10:48 AM, Anton Tutter <atut...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Any current production dynamo hub will work with any current production
> LED headlight, so no issues there.
>

> On Tuesday, January 21, 2014 12:16:58 AM UTC-5, Michael wrote:
>>
>> Anyone know if the Shimano 3N80 will work with the new Edelux II light?
>>>
>> Is that a good match?
>> will any hub work with any light?
>>

> As far as personal experience goes, I've had dynamo wheels (and non-dynamo
> wheels) built by Anthony King of Longleaf Bicycles, and he's always been
> friendly, knowledgeable, helpful and patient with lots of questions.  The
> wheels he has built for me have held up very nicely and have remained
> perfectly true over the few years I've had them.  Hand-built wheels will
> cost more than machine-built wheels, even if the labor charge is minimal
> (and Anthony's standard wheelbuilding fee is on the low side), but
> hand-built wheels built by a master builder will be vastly more durable
> than machine-built wheels. (Paying a wheel builder to re-tension a
> machine-built wheel can add significant long-term durability to the wheel,
> so that's another option that can still work out cheaper than a hand-built
> wheel).
>
> As for brands-- I've been happy with Shimano dynamo hubs in terms of value
> and reliability.  The only negative thing I can think of is that they cause
> detectable vibration in the handlebars at speeds >12-15mph when the lights
> are on.  I have Shimano dynamo hubs on two bikes, and both bikes experience
> the vibration.  I have a more expensive SONdelux hub on another bike, and I
> can't detect vibration on that bike.
>
> I'm also very pleased with the B&M lights I have.  I have three B&M Cyo
> headlights, and all have been reliable.  The beam pattern is the same as
> the Edelux with almost the same intensity, at half the price.  The B&M
> taillights I have have also been reliable, although I've discovered that
> the Spanninga Pixeo is as good of a taillight at half the price of a B&M
> Seculite.
>
> Anton

"I want the kind of six pack you can't drink." -- Micah