I'm flattered that my project inspired you.  I think it's a great idea,
depending on what you mean by worthy.  It's definitely a horrible
investment.  My dad's windsor might have been worth $100 before I worked on
it.  Now it's totally non-stock, but it's a rideable bike.  It's probably
worth a tiny bit more, maybe $150, but I've probably put $600 and 50 hours
of work into it.  Think about it like car people think about car
restorations.  Do it if you'll enjoy doing it and if it will mean something
to you.  The most enjoyable part about cycling for me is doing builds.  I
enjoy doing builds more than I enjoy cycling (but I enjoy cycling a lot).
 I would have a build in progress constantly if I could afford it and had
the space.  My father gave me that love for working in the shop, and that's
part of why I relished my rebuild of his bike.