I don't post here often (because *eep* I do not own a Rivendell!) but I
just wanted to chime in that the sentiment expressed by Jim "I suspect
those transactions…are still a small eddy compared the flow of goods from
Walnut Creek" seems so totally on the mark to me that I wanted to endorse
it. I buy new from Riv frequently, but I buy used from here and the BOB
list just as frequently. And I feel I have never fallen into a moral
crevasse when navigating between those purchasing techniques.

Buying new from places that can skim a dollar or two off via economies of
scale is an inherently different situation -- those skimmed dollars are
more or less being directly taken out of employee benefits and wages. I
don't think that's true of the secondhand market.

Two unsolicited cents,
from Sam
in Chicago