Doug - I lived in Nashville for a while and there is some excellent country
roads all around Williamson County, specifically around Leiper's Fork...a
short drive from Franklin. I've lived in N. Cal for 3 year years now and
every weekend I wish I was on a Leiper's Fork ride. Downtown Leiper's Fork
is a great place to start, I used to park in the community center parking
lot, ride for 30-50 miles, and then come back and get some barbeque at
Puckett's Grocery. Can't beat it. Best thing in the world. I'm sure Map My
Ride or whatever similar site has some good suggestions on rides to do from
there, but definitely use that as a starting point. There are some cool
rides around Franklin too, can't go wrong there either, but it is a little
more suburban there, whereas Leipers Fork is far more rural.

Natchez Trace is super popular, and very scenic. I did a few rides and an
overnight tour on it and thought it had a heavy wind tunnel effect, not a
fan.

I always followed a group and suck at directions, so that's all I got. Good
luck.