I don't have any army surplus clothing (I do have a US Army woolen blanket,
though), but I am also a recent convert to wool for cycling. After my
(supposedly) breathable jacket's zipper broke, I did the same thing: I
switched from those same synthetic materials to the layered wool approach.
A base layer, a somewhat heavy jersey, and a thin Ibex zippered jacket work
very well -- I'm no longer drenched in sweat at the end of my ride. (And I
imagine mountain biking would provide an even tougher test of the
clothing's performance.)

I'm curious about the cotton snow smock; does it work better than wool as
an outer garment? Is it somewhat water/wind resistant?

Bob Ehrenbeck
Garwood, New Jersey