I second the notion of looking out for those long top-tubes.  That's the
primary reason a vintage MTB won't work well for me.

If a Bombadil or Atlantis is what you want and it's financially feasible, I
say just go for it.  If you have financial constraints you might consider
Velo-Orange's Camargue.  In your size it will have 26" wheels and it's
built as an off-road expedition bike.  Imagine a 90's MTB with lower Bottom
bracket and a shorter top-tube and you've got the Camargue.  I'm seriously
contemplating the 700c version.  My current bike (Handsome Devil) is a
great bike and probably usable within the same parameters as a Sam
Hillborne but I REALLY want the option of running full 29'er tires and
that's the one place it falls short.