Winter goes brutal and deadly fast. I am thankful you and everyone else is
fine. The paradoxes that come from snow being a great insulator are
amazing, and lake slush is a great example.

I don't have personal experience with falling in slush in my ventile (or
anything else). Colorado has very few lakes able to produce such an effect,
and none close to me. But intuiting from what I know and have experienced,
the primary difference between a Ventile jacket and your canvas anorak is
the sponge like absorption and pass through of water thought the surface of
the fabric. Water would still come through the hem and cuffs and neck of a
Ventile jacket if submerged, but not through the entire surface of the
jacket where submerged, so on the whole your upper body would remain
significantly dryer. You would instinctively raise up your hands out the
the water anyway, so the main seepage point would be the waist hem. With
the cotton analogy lines anorak I have from Hilltrek, it actively draws
moisture from the inside to the outside to evaporate, so in such a
situation (without shelter close by) I would leave my anorak on while I
moved briskly yet with slow care (stupid things happen in the cold when you
move fast) to stay warm(er) and try and draw as much moisture out while I
built a fire and prepared shelter, survival style. I talked recently with
the owner of Empire Canvas to pick his brain on cold weather gear since he
isn't selling any this year. When I mentioned I'll be using my Ventile
jacket and was very excited and said there is no way he can beat that.

If I could get mittens and mukluks in Ventile, I would.

Keep on enjoy the wild wonders of winter! You have an excellent head on
your shoulders and that is the best piece of equipment you can have in the
wilds.

With abandon,
Patrick