My next bike project is to build up some new 650b wheels for my Riv Road,
using its original Phil hubs.  I'm soliciting advice for which spoke
gauge/butting to use.

Use:
Road riding/light trail rambling
Touring (220lb rider, ~25lb bike, ~20-40lb load)

Parts:
Phil Wood 36h Road hub (front) / Phil Wood 36h Road FW hub (rear)
Velocity Synergy 650B rims
3x Cross laced DT Swiss spokes --- gauge???

Which gauge of spoke is good for this situation?  I want light weight but
with enough strength for the heavy load.  What gauge/butting would be too
light?  Is straight gauge overkill?  Will using 36h allow me to use a
slightly lighter gauge?

Rim:  Can I use a symmetrical rim in the rear, or do I have to use one with
asymmetrical drilling?  The Phil Wood FW hub's flanges are only 5mm left of
center, better than most cassette hubs.  I already have two symmetrical
Synergy rims, so I'd like to use them for front and rear if I can.

Thanks!

Tim Gavin
Cedar Rapids, IA