I was on a week-long bike tour with friends a couple of years ago, and it was raining as we prepared to leave in the morning.  One of my friends reached into his bag and brought out a roll of saran wrap!  I wrapped my shoes and ankles/socks, crisscrossed to leave the bottom of forefoot clear - and my feet stayed dry all day.  I couldn't believe he actually carried that roll, but was glad he did.  It definitely looks dorky - but is effective.  Wrapping the ankle/sock connection was important as it kept water from dripping into the shoe.  You could have a box at home and wrap some around cardboard to keep at work.   And for an occasional commute, might work just fine and not much of an investment.
Joan
who has been caught in the rain on commutes (including thunderstorms), and just got wet shoes and socks.  But I always kept shoes at work under my desk to change into anyway.  Stuffed newspaper into my biking shoes, changed it frequently to stuff more dry paper in. The shoes dried out - either to go home from work if wet in the morning or by the morning if I got soaked in the evening.