The Pacer/LHT/Cross-check frames from Surly are functionally similar to
several Riv models, past and present. Beyond that, the Surly and Riv
offerings don't have much overlap. Riv has its niche, which has some pretty
clear boundaries. Meanwhile, Surly has spent most of its history giving us
tough, no-frills classic designs (like Rivendell minus the fanciness), OR
types of bikes that were entirely new to most of us at the time (e.g. 1x1,
Karate Monkey, Big Dummy, Pugsley/Moonlander, Krampus/ECR).

Both companies have inspired competitors and shameless copycats to come out
of the woodwork, so I don't think we need more of that. We'll be better off
if both companies do what they do best without trying to duplicate each
other. I dare say that Riv would do a pretty mediocre job trying to be "the
lugged steel version of Surly", and we really don't need Surly to focus on
being the "low-budget Rivendell alternative".

If a person wants an ECR, why not buy an ECR and reward the creativity and
boldness of Surly in inventing such a thing?