If you decide to try the Nano's I'll be interested in your experience.  I
plan to buy at least one set of knobby tires and they are high on my list.

Surly markets the Ogre and the Troll as touring bikes but they are
literally just a Karate Monkey (29'er MTB) and a 1 x 1 (26" MTB) with all
the braze-ons you need for touring plus they have mounts for canti-studs,
which is huge for me.

I would love to spend some time riding 55mm BA's on a 700c bike,
particularly something like the Hunqapillar or Velo-Orange's upcoming
Camargue.  I might find it's more the tires than the wheel size.

So many ideas to try.....so little money to spend trying them.