I think Tom is in Philadelphia. I (Ted) am out on the west coast. Actually
not far from where White Industries is located, and even closer to RBW.
Sounds like you are going to have a real White Industries theme going
there. Should be really great. Though personally I would avoid the
proprietary non standard rings and fixed cogs, I understand many people
aren't concerned by that sort of thing.
While you are at it their urban pedals are very cool too, and if you are
going to experiment with a fixed cog, well some folks think clips and
straps are a good idea for that. If you do loose the pedals on a fixed gear
that egg beater down there could be hard on your ankles.
I think you mentioned having a 48 Sam, (which I believe would also have
650b wheels) so you can get a good idea what gear you want by noticing what
you use on your Sam for rolling along in gentle terrain. Like if you have a
48-18 combination available on your Sam, that would be fairly close to what
the 42-16 option gives you (~68 and ~67 respectively).
It is a lucky man you are to have such a fun project to while away the
remains of winter with.