Awesome, Brian!

In my experience, sustained wet and near freezing temps are as dangerous as
-30˚F, requiring the right gear for being out in it all day. The feet are
no exception. A few things that may be worth trying for you:

-- carry baggies and add them to your feet (either next to the skin or
after a thin wool sock) as vapor barrier. Chances are this change alone
would have made your get warm and toasty.
-- multiple wool socks, with adequate space for circulation inside your
footwear. In my experience there is little point to trying to keep the
socks and shoe dry. They are going to get wet. Have a dry pair available
for when you are done, at least of the socks. On multi day events, drying
the socks is a challenge and give up drying the footwear.

No mention of your rainwear system, so I presume you have one you like?
What do you use?

With abandon,
Patrick