Starting sometime in 2011 or 2012 Grant had some frames built with a second set
of chainstays that extended from the added diagonal tube. These extra
chainstays eventually morphed into a decorative option where the stays bent
whimsically in opposing directions. The "tentacular" stays made it onto a few
bombadils, the pre-order appaloosa models, and Leisel's custom, among others.
As this blue bike is a prototype is could be missing the special stays as a
future cost saving measure, or as a cost/time reduction for prototyping. We
will just have to wait and see.

I have a hard time seeing the advantage of this bike model over the Cheviut or
the Bombadil special order model. That said, it looks like it is going to be a
great bicycle and I am sure everyone who buys one will be more than pleased.

Jason