On 03/15/2014 12:53 AM, Matt Lynch wrote:
I purchased a Sam Hillborne after an extended test ride at RBW. I've put close to 7,000 miles on my bike and have yet to duplicate the ride I experienced on their test bike. I've always had in the back of my mind the problem was that I bought a Taiwanese model whereas, unbeknownst to me, I test rode a Waterford built Sam. But there's no way RBW would pull a bait and switch like that...and that's assuming there even is a difference. So reading this thread I'm thinking it could be the tires. I'm still trying to wear out my original Schwalbe Supremes so I don't have anything else to compare. The demo bike I rode had those RBW tires with the checker board tread. Could there really be that much difference? And if so, are Jan's recommendations that much sweeter?

Don't get me wrong. I've hardly ridden my other bikes at all since getting the Hillborne. I am a happy camper. But I also have to accept the fact that I'm am a person who lives in the camp of high value and durability. So when it comes right down to it, I'm just trying to figure out if I may just be my own worst enemy when it comes to tires.

Matt, how much money would it cost to buy a pair of the best tires available and try them? $120?