*From:* [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] *On Behalf Of *Julien Vanwinsberghe
*Sent:* Monday, November 19, 2007 9:57 AM
*To:* R (D)COM and RExcel server related issues
*Subject:* Re: [Rcom-l] R.Net GUI

Hi Mike,

I've tried your .NET R GUI, it's very nice !

I'll be really interested to take a look on it if you make it an open source project.

How did you check the produces installed on the computer before installation ?
By searching exe files, looking in system registry, or another way ?
(I need to build an installation package for the software I'm currently working on, and I don't know how to verify the installation of needed softwares like R or R(D)Com Server)

Regards,

Julien Vanwinsberghe

Mike Ryckman a écrit :
Hello everyone,
I just wanted to send a quick note out to say that I've been working on a GUI for R built on the .NET framework... at this point I've called it R.Net. I ultimately plan to release it as an open source project if anybody seems vaguely interested in it... It's based on the Rcmdr package by John Fox. The difference is that I eventually want to make it a standalone install so that users can just download a single .msi file or something with everything they need and not have to know a thing about R going in to it. The program is currently available on my web site here...

_http://www.u.arizona.edu/~ryckman/RNet.php_ <http://www.u.arizona.edu/%7Eryckman/RNet.php>

Of course, it requires R and the DCOM server and.since it's written in .NET it requires windows and the .NET 2.0 framework - if you don't have this it will automatically install it from microsoft.

I am a political science graduate student and so my effort so far has been to make the interface behave (at least somewhat) like Stata and other common packages used in the social sciences. My hope is to make R more accessible to people who are hesitant about diving into a command line environment.

I should warn that a few of the features do not work right now- most notably the ability to type in a dataset manually. Because I'm busy with school, I've just been building in features that I've needed for different projects... With that said, I think it does have one or two handy features to the interface... Also, for simplicity I've written it in the free version of visual studio... down the road I'm hoping to switch it over to and write an actual installer that could include R and DCOM so that it isn't as confusing to install.

I'd certainly appreciate any feedback or thoughts anyone has some...

Thank you,

Mike Ryckman