Le 18/04/2018 à 17:31, Jeff Newmiller a écrit :
as.numeric( NULL ) is not silent, it is very explicit.
Well, written in this way yes. But I was referring more to the content than to the form. If you write as.numeric(x) and at some run-time point x become NULL, the code won't stop with an error. It will silently coerce NULL to numeric(0). Analogously in what I propose, if you write f(vec x) and at some call x is NULL, f would continue to work as if called with f(numeric(0)).

Re this not being a C++ NULL, I don't object to R NULL being used that way (in
fact it may be more sensible to do this than not, but it is not clear that R
core thinks this way).
No sure to get your point here but never mind.

Serguei.