The PICs are very good, and Microchip is a great company to deal with,
but my personal favorite is the Atmel AVR line; programmable in C (avr-
gcc), has on-board EEPROM for parameter storage and in-system-
reprogrammable flash for operating code, and for $8 I can get 12 MIPS
of RISC processor with 32 MB of RAM and 32 I/O lines, with the usual
timers/counters/PWM/etc... Really, no matter whichever microcontroller
line you prefer, they're an incredibly powerful, cost-efficient
embedded platform.

I agree fully with Frank's viewpoint on modular designs, too.

-- Steve H